Autumn background

06 September 2011

Faith, In What?

I have a question for you today - just to get you thinking. Do you walk in faith in God or do you say that you believe, then walk in faith in something of this world?

I am a born-again believer in Jesus Christ, yet I tend to place more faith in the things of this world than I do in God. For example, do I trust my security system to keep me safe at night or my Father God who promises to love, protect, and never forsake me? (Joshua 1:5) I am not saying that setting my security system is wrong or against Scripture. What happens though when I have set it, and I hear a sound in the night? Do I immediately think I'm okay because the alarm will go off and scare the burglar, or do I think I'm okay because my God will take care of me? I have to admit, there have been many times that I have fallen asleep only because I was sure I had set the alarm.

Another example is my current leap of faith. I quit my "day" job to pursue other areas of passion and talents (skills).  But what have I found myself doing? First, I started doing crazy surveys to earn fifty cents here and a dollar there. Second, I stooped even lower to opening junk emails to earn five cents or even a penny. What was I thinking? I'll tell you exactly what I was thinking - I've got to make things happen. I've been fretting and stressing over getting work so much that I have failed to enjoy this adventure with God. Do I trust him to make things happen? I say I do, then I walk in disbelief.

Moses and the Israelites were on the edge of the Red Sea, and the Egyptians were quickly approaching. Moses told the people that God would deliever. "Then the Lord said to Moses, 'Why are you crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to move on'." What? Was Moses thinking, "The sea is in front of us, should we build a bridge, make some floats, what should we do to move on?" No, God said He would make a way if they just believed. He told Moses to raise his hands over the sea, and God parted the Red Sea.

This passage is not a reproach to spending time in prayer, but an encouragement to walk in faith. Moses spent much time with God. What I believe God is now saying is, "It is time to walk in it!" After visiting God in a matter, we don't have to fret over what He's directing us to do, but walk forth as we are trusting Him to make a way when a way can't be seen.

What do I trust in really? Do I trust in what I can see and worry when that doesn't seem to be panning out? That's not faith. "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see."  Hebrews 11:1

I hope you stop to consider your faith walk today; I'm trying,

the sometimes faithful writer

No comments: